Because I didn’t want this buried in a reblog:
The city has ordered a mandatory evacuation for everyone living in ZONE A
These are generally low-lying areas in all 5 boros including areas such as Coney Island and Sheepshead Bay in Brooklyn, the Rockaways in Queens, parts of Lower Manhattan, etc.
HOW TO KNOW IF YOU LIVE IN ZONE A:
WNYC has an interactive map on their website where you can type in your address and it will show you exactly which zone you live in.
Link to map HERE
This is also helpful for those of you who have family or neighbors who are not internet savvy so please help them out too so they don’t have to rely on calling 311 (which is probably hammered).
OKAY I LIVE IN ZONE A, BUT WHERE DO I GO?
Preferably you have friends and family elsewhere that you can stay with. Failing that, the city has evacuation shelters if you have nowhere to go, PETS ARE ALLOWED and each of them is wheelchair accessible but parking is limited so they are asking that you take public transit.
A full list of city evacuation shelters is available HERE. Multiple languages are available.
Please stay safe out there.
(Please, please, PLEASE signal boost this. I’m not in much danger right now compared to them. But I do have friends living in NYC.)
Lemme just add that it’s really not that bad and yes, you should evacuate if you’re in zone a, but guys we all remember hurricane irene and how tame that was. The media is trying to get us all worked up over nothing. We probably won’t lose power, this isn’t the goddamn apocalypse, this is just to be extra precautionary.
Jesus fucking Christ
this is exactly the wrong thing to be reblogging this with
THIS IS NOT HURRICANE IRENE SITUATION. THIS IS NOT FEARMONGERING OR MEDIA HYPE.
1) This is exactly the second time in the history of this city that a mandatory evacuation order has been sent out.
2) THIS IS NOT FUCKING HURRICANE IRENE. THIS SYSTEM IS CONSIDERABLY WORSE. For any number of meteorological reasons that are well-documented and have been since last week. This storm is coinciding with a full moon, which means it will be making landfall around the same time as high tide, which means worse flooding than Irene. It is also projected to make landfall much closer to the city than Irene did, and the cold front coming in is going to exacerbate the situation. Essentially it’s a hurricane and a Nor’easter put together. Wind gusts are also going to be worse than Irene, and this is not a fast moving system.
By all means, do not freak out—if you don’t live in Zone A, the worst you probably need to worry about is intermittent power outages and flooding—but people NEED to take this storm seriously and prepare accordingly. PARTICULARLY people in low lying areas. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best. The fact that NYC has issued mandatory evacuations for any area in the city is a sign to take this seriously, that simply is not done here.
wtf is wrong with that nigga
reblogging for bisho’s info
better to be ready than not ready
(Source: commanderbishoujo)blog comments powered by Disqus
- imholeyfredgeddit reblogged this from greatsavebylundqvist
- imholeyfredgeddit likes this
- vantastheswanqueen reblogged this from spacu
- doctor-loki-holmes reblogged this from greatsavebylundqvist
- askingyomama reblogged this from greatsavebylundqvist
- cloudedhelll reblogged this from greatsavebylundqvist
- greatsavebylundqvist reblogged this from amante-lasciato
- amante-lasciato reblogged this from greatsavebylundqvist
- wastingontheinside likes this
- mattandkazsmith reblogged this from the-penultimate-avenger
- rangerose reblogged this from tictocrabbit
- zombieclown reblogged this from bimbodinsons
- simplysuperbenny likes this
- claramotherfuckingoswald reblogged this from the-eleventh-blog
- aerithrayne reblogged this from adepth-ofpureblue
- tefuna reblogged this from gaynin
- candychicksandrock reblogged this from laipai and added:
- timetravelerkhaleesi reblogged this from pizzawolves
- hankyouhaveastupidface reblogged this from karengillan2
- bethaninja reblogged this from gloctorwho
- vcrighthere reblogged this from impossibletruths
- mysticbreadslicer reblogged this from freyjas
- aklutzintime reblogged this from adelphas
- adelphas reblogged this from fuckyeahsherlock
- courferre likes this
- torukun1 likes this
- ineedanewnameformyself reblogged this from miljathefailcat
- myheartuponmysleeve reblogged this from not-my-century
- vavalicious reblogged this from jmoosalecki
- nepetapop reblogged this from zeitgeistzero
- thenightmarerider reblogged this from fuckyeahradiodeadair and added:
- fuckyeahradiodeadair reblogged this from cranialdetritus
- dexter-13 reblogged this from poopingdemons
- anch0rforthesoul reblogged this from jesus-christ-is-the-bomb
- jesus-christ-is-the-bomb reblogged this from s-audad-e
- s-audad-e reblogged this from chroniclesofness and added:
- chroniclesofness reblogged this from khalrhaego
- mysugarcat reblogged this from zeggy
- littlemspaint reblogged this from aerisonus
- strawberryorange reblogged this from kassa-fabrication
- catobsessedfreelancer likes this
- fathergouda reblogged this from zeitgeistzero
- zeitgeistzero reblogged this from facepalmx2combo
- the-jane reblogged this from sirmorgan
- jcummins151 reblogged this from whitepool
- jcummins151 likes this
- brave-coeur-de-rouge reblogged this from freyjas
- electricdemonsinlove reblogged this from maus-works